Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thinking...

Good morning friends.
I want to take a minute and send out my thoughts and prayers to all of those who have been effected by the unbelievable devastation that even now is still occurring in Japan. I've been watching the news since Friday night and it is hard to imagine what people there are going through, it seems so surreal. Watching this all unfold, I can't help but feel small and helpless in some ways and completely grateful for the simple things that I take for granted everyday... like having a roof over my head, clean water, food in the fridge and knowing that all of my loved ones are safe and sound.
I know I don't usually share these kinds of thoughts or comment on world affairs in general here on the ol' blog but it was just feeling weird not to. So this is my own little love and prayers letter to everyone. ♥
And as silly as it may seem, I was inspired to use Geisha Anya because of all of this. She is so peaceful and serene looking, which I thought was quite appropriate. As I was coloring her up I started to think back to the last time I had used her because I knew it had been awhile. Then it hit me... Geisha Anya was the very first stamp that I ever colored up with Copic markers just about two years ago now! Wow... had it really been that long? This made me very curious to dig up a pic and see how far I've come with my technique in that time...
... check it out! Quite a difference wouldn't you say? We've all got to start somewhere though. :)
So, I've got a 'just for fun' little challenge for ya... why not pull out that first stamp that you ever colored up and give it a go again. It really is fun to see where you've been and where you are now.
Alrighty, time for work.... BIG HUGS everybody! ♥ Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and PTI
paper- Imaginisce (Garden Party)
stamps- The Greeting Farm (Geisha Anya), Hero Arts (sentiment)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Colorbox creamy brown
prima flowers
Kaiser Craft pearls
making memories decorative brad
Martha Stewart butterfly punch
Sakura clear glaze pen
Copic Spica glitter pens
Copic markers:
face- E40, E41, 0, RV10, W1, W3
skin- E000, E00
hair- C5, C7, C9, 100, 0
clothes- RV23, RV34, RV25, BG70, B52, BG72, G40, G82, G20, RV0000, RV000, RV00, YR000, YR01, YR12


26 comments:

Hlora said...

wow!!! Cute card! Love the oriental theme so much! geishas are very special girls))) Love it))))

gobeagirl said...

Oh Amy, I know what you mean. Talk about not being able to fathom what all of those people are going through. I have to tell, both of your cards are just beautiful although your hair coloring technique has sure some a long way. I laugh everytime I see some of the first images that I colored. However there are times when I color now that I wonder why. lol....Have a great day. Hugs, Lisa

Rhonda Miller said...

What lovely cards. I am also thinking and praying for those who have been affected. TFS.

RiNNE said...

So sad indeed. I feel so helpless while so many are suffering :(.

Gorgeous card - I think the cherry blossoms are perfect! Geisha Anya looks beautiful and at peace!

cowboydutrem said...

I like your old card too with its bright colors but I much prefer the hair coloring on the soft and serene card you just made.

~* steph :) *~ said...

my heart aches seeing what has happened in japan as well. i hope they can start recovering and rebuilding.
i love both of your cards. the first one is so soft and delicate. beautiful coloring and i love the cherry blossom paper. also love your first card, what a pretty scene. her kimono is just so pretty. thanks for sharing and have a great day!
big *hugs* steph :)

Jacilynn said...

What great cards and such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing your cards and sentiments!
x

Leanne said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Amy. I can't help but watch and read and hear all that is happening in Japan. Each day is a new tragedy, but the Japanese are resilient as with any community.
Thank you for sharing both of your cards. I agree with everyone that both cards are amazing and that you can see that you've come quite far in so short a time. I love the bright colors and that tree in your first a card and then I love the soft colors you used in the second. Both cards are wonderful.
BIG HUGS! Arigato for sharing!

Mette said...

They are both beautiful Amy and it's amazing to see how much we all improve over time.
I think we have all been touched by the events in Japan. It's terrible to see people losing everything but I am sure the japanese people are strong and resilient. My prayers go to them.

Hugsm Mette

Mimi said...

Both of your cards are gorgeous Amy! Love the softness of the new card, yet the vibrant colors with the tree is beautiful too! Have a great day! ;)

Lysa said...

Gorgeous!

I've been slacking in the comment dept., but this is absolutely stunning!

Shirley N said...

I know what you mean, Amy, the devastation in Japan really makes you reflect on just simple everyday things don't they. Love both of your cards, beautiful in both their beauty and your thoughtfulness. Have a wonderful day, dear friend! Hugggs!

eva said...

hi amy. i usually don't comment on world happenings either but the tragedy in japan is so great it's hard not to. in any case, your card is very calming and beautiful.

Robin said...

what a great idea! It's nice to see her coloured in pastels... it's always bold colours I usually see her in....
I am sending prayers that way as well,
Robin

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous!!

Chelsea said...

Love that Geisha! Gorgeous!

WickedPixie said...

Hi Amy! I know I have been pretty quiet for a while but I always take a look here when I get the chance (and all of the Zodiac girls were just stunning btw) This card is breathtaking (I love the original, too!) and has such a heartwarming thought behind it.... I just wanted to tell you how wonderful I thought it was. :-)Traci

Jenny said...

Gee, even your first coloring of Geisha Anya is nice! My mind has definitely been on Japan as well.

Unknown said...

My goodness, Amy! These are jsut about the sweetest!!

Sudha said...

Wow, Sentiment goes well with the image. Pretty creation.

1LuvnMama said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes we just need to vent whether it be on the blog or with family/friends. I luv both cards using Geisha. Both sweet, both serene. Perfect DP's to go with her!

Helene said...

Indeed your coloring has changed a lot... wow
I love your sweet card!
Hugs
Hélène

PS: I sent you a mail yesterday, I hope you received it.

Tasha said...

It really is unimaginable, all that horrific devastation.

Your card is beautiful! I love the soft colours, they feel so peaceful and relaxing. Your colouring technique has changed lots, but your first attempt is better than my colouring now! So you were always great!
love tasha xx

Stamping Cafe said...

Oh my heart and prayers go out to the people in Japan! I can only imagine what they are going through!!

Gorgeous cards, Amy! Can't believe you've only been coloring with Copics for 2 years, your coloring is totally amazing! Love both of your cards!

donna mikasa said...

Beautiful card and a beautiful tribute to the people of Japan. I love seeing how your coloring evolved. It was gorgeous then, and it's even more gorgeous now.

Alice said...

both cards are beautiful! your coloring is amazing, Amy! love that you compared your first one to the new one. love seeing how your coloring as growing to be fantabulous!! and the designs are always fresh. LOVE this!